2019 – 2020 Committee / Comité
Chair / président
Members / membres
Gira Bhatt (Secretary)
Keith Dobson (Board Liaison)
Contact the Committee / Communiquez avec le comité
The International Relations Committee (IRC) was struck by the Board of Directors to assist the Board, the Association and Canadian psychology in responding to international issues and opportunities that affect the discipline.
The goal of the IRC is to advise the Board of Directors and to take actions on behalf of the Association in international affairs.
Terms of Reference
Include the following roles:
- To give advice to CPA Board regarding International Relations and affairs.
- To organize activities at the CPA convention to promote awareness of international projects and issues, meetings and conferences and to encourage the attendance of Canadian psychologists at international meetings.
- To provide information about, and to carryout program development for international exchanges and attendance at meetings. This may be done through the identification of agencies or other sources that fund participation in activities within the international context.
- To take action in cases involving infringements of the rights of psychologists or abuse of psychological knowledge and techniques wherever in the world these may occur.
- To monitor any and all international accomplishments, recognitions and special activities of merit by CPA members
- To solicit nominations for the CPA Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology to be submitted to the Committee on Fellows and Awards.
The International Relations Committee reports to the Board of Directors through the Committee Chair. The Chair is appointed from the members of the Committee and on the recommendation of the Committee by the CPA President.
Membership on the International Relations Committee (ICR) shall consist of at least eleven persons: the Chair (appointed by the Board), a Board member who is designated as its representative to the committee, plus nine members each of whom serve for terms of three-years, rotating so that one-third of their membership is reconstituted each year. Terms of members may be renewable once.
Responsibilities of Committee Members
The IRC members are responsible for pursuing the vision and terms of reference of the Committee. To this effect, members participate in all discussions pertaining to the work of the Committee and work on projects or issues brought forward by the Committee, the Board of Directors, the sections, national and international bodies and CPA members as appropriate.
Membership on the Committee shall be reviewed annually and reconstituted at its annual meetings. All Committee meetings shall be open to CPA members. If not otherwise members of the ICR, elected Canadian delegates to the General Assembly of the International Union of Psychological Science shall be regarded as ex-officio members of the ICR for the duration of their term of office.
Meetings and Reporting
The IRC reports to the CPA Board on all matters conducted on its behalf. The Committee meets annually at the CPA Convention. Meetings are minuted. The Committee reports to the CPA membership through the Committee’s Annual Report to the Annual General Meeting and other available CPA communications vehicles and to the Board of Directors through a report to each Board meeting and to the President on an as needed basis.