ABOUT THE PROGRAM, EXCLUSIVE TO CPA AND CPAP PROVINCIAL/TERRITORIAL MEMBERS
Participating members of the insurance program receive dedicated legal advice and practice risk resources based on liability trends in psychology. In this model, risk management and patient safety are a key priority, with a direct positive financial impact on future premiums and loss reserves.
UNDERSTANDING PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
Professional Liability coverage provides insurance protection for wrongful acts to a third party (actual or alleged negligent acts, errors or omissions) committed when practising within your scope as a psychology practitioner. Your coverage ensures payment of both compensatory damages and legal costs associated with a claim, even in cases where the allegations are frivolous.
Program & Benefits include:
- Developed for members by members and not driven by profit. Excess reserves are invested back into the profession (e.g. practice risk management and other continuing professional development activities)
- Coverage provides comprehensive insurance protection for psychology practitioners at group discounted premium pricing that is reliable and sustainable
- Provides coverage not found in employer policies
- Insured members are protected 24/7 in all employment circumstances anywhere in Canada
- Coverage provides dedicated superior legal defence services for claims without an hourly limit
- Focus on risk management, emphasizing reduced practice error and enhanced patient safety. Investments in prudent practice will reduce future premiums and expand future coverage.
REGULATORY LEGAL EXPENSE COVERAGE
The regulatory legal expense endorsement provides coverage for legal costs associated with having to appear at a disciplinary hearing with a provincial regulatory organization or agency. In the event of a complaint or investigation, members are provided with superior legal representation and defence protection. Examples include complaints alleging professional misconduct, incompetence, or incapacity.
CRIMINAL DEFENSE COVERAGE
Coverage will reimburse insured members for defence costs associated with a case filed under the Criminal Code if the professional service was rendered in Canada and the member is found ‘not guilty’.
SEXUAL ABUSE AND COUNSELLING FUND
All options include a maximum funding of $20,000 for the rehabilitation and therapy of a person who, while a patient or client, suffered abuse in the course of an insured member’s practice as a psychology practitioner. Members are provided with a separate $1,000,000 limit of coverage for abuse under the policy.
COVERAGE FEATURES FOR ALL OPTIONS
Out-of-country coverage is automatically included for 90 consecutive days at no extra charge for members who travel outside Canada while:
- accompanying Canadian patients or clients,
- attending academic courses, or
- participating in professional exchange programs with other countries
|Coverage Option 1||Coverage Option 2|
|$7,000,000 each claim / $10,000,000 aggregate in any one year Professional Liability||$10,000,000 each claim / $10,000,000 aggregate in any one year Professional Liability|
|$300,000 Criminal defence reimbursement||$300,000 Criminal defence reimbursement|
For more information, please contact BMS Group: 1-855-318-6038
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.psychology.bmsgroup.com