As part of the promotion of education and training for psychologists in Canada as a component of the CPA’s Education pillar, the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) is pleased to offer web-based continuing professional development opportunities for psychologists that also may be of interest to students of psychology, to members of other disciplines, and to the public. These courses complement CPA’s other knowledge-transfer activities, such as its three journals, annual annual convention, and publications program.
These courses are primarily delivered by Canadian psychologists who have extensive experience and knowledge of psychological science and practice from a uniquely Canadian perspective. All courses are reviewed and approved using strict content and instructional criteria. Certificates for each program are available to download or print upon successful completion of required quizzes at the end of each program. New programs are added on an ongoing basis.
Notice to psychologists registered in Quebec: The continuing education (CE) hours approved for CPA’s online courses (other than the course on Starting and Operating an Independent Professional Practice) will be recognized by the OPQ for CE in psychotherapy. The OPQ has confirmed for us that because the internet server which hosts our online CE courses is located outside of Quebec, prior approval is not required from the OPQ. In order to claim CE hours for an online course, participants should ensure that they keep a record of proof of their participation (i.e., receipt of payment and certificate of completion).
- Course #1: Starting and Operating an Independent Professional Practice in Psychology
- Course #2: Being an Ethical Psychologist
- Course #3: A Psychologist’s Guide to Psychopharmacology
- Course #4: DSM-5: Changes and Implications for Professional Practice
- Course #5: Evidence-Based Treatment of PTSD within Military Populations
- Course #6: Evidence Based Correctional Practice (EBCP) for Managing and Treating Offenders with Mental Illness
- Course #7: Transition Assessments for Criminal and Violence Risk: Theory, Ethics, and Application
- Course #8: Integrated CBT Treatment for Anxiety in Clinical Practice
- Course #9: Addressing Insomnia in Those with Depression: A Step-by-Step Evidence-Based Approach
- Course #10: Assessment of Malingering
- Course #11: Knowledge Mobilization 101
- Course #12: Advanced Skills in Mindfulness-based Interventions: Navigating the Ethics in and of Mindfulness
- Course #13: Perfectionism: A Relational Approach to Conceptualization, Assessment, and Treatment
- Course #14: Psychopharmacology Clinical Update
- Course #15: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Psychosis
- Course #16: Behavioural Events as the Unit of Analysis in Case Formulation: Anger Episodes and Criminal Offences
- NEW Course #17: The Emerging and Changing Practice of Police Psychology in a Canadian Context
- NEW Course #18: Putting the LEARNING back in Learning Disabilities
- NEW Course #19: Exploring Screen Addiction, Excessive or Otherwise Non-integrated Use of Screen-based Technologies
- NEW Course #20: What is Neurotherapy? An exploration of the state of current practice and treatment
- NEW Course #21: Mindfulness-integrated CBT: A Four Stage Transdiagnostic Treatment Approach
- NEW Course #22: Developing Intercultural Resiliency and Healing Narratives through Nature and Culture
- NEW Course #23: Remote Psychoeducational Assessments with Children and Adolescents During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Beyond
- NEW Course #24: Remote Therapy for Children and Youth
- NEW Course #25: A Condensed Overview of Empirical Evidences and Practical Implications of Telepractice and Psychotherapy for Adults
To learn more about these courses, please visit our course catalogue or click on one of the course links.
The CPA is also pleased to present non-CE credit courses in Quantitative Methods, which are provided free, to CPA Members and Student Affiliates:
These courses are available for registration on the Vocalmeet course catalogue page.
Indigenous Awareness Canada Courses
The CPA has partnered with Indigenous Awareness Canada to provide valuable Indigenous education content at a significant discount to CPA members. These courses are designed to help you and your organization, build positive, respectful, and effective relationships with Indigenous people in Canada.
The courses are available individually, or in packages. Please note that to do any of the 300-level courses, you must first complete Course 201. You will not receive a certificate upon completion of the level 101 course, only for courses at the 201 level and above. These courses do not carry CPA CE credits.
The five available workshops are:
101 Indigenous Awareness Introduction
The Indigenous Awareness Introduction course is a stand-alone highly abridged version of the widely-recognized Certification course. It takes about 60-90 minutes to complete.
201 Indigenous Awareness Certification
The Indigenous Awareness Certification course is the most popular starting point. This comprehensive and information-rich course offers important foundational knowledge, background, and context. It takes about 4-8 hours to complete.
301 Indigenous Peoples and Cultures
The Indigenous Peoples and Cultures course builds from the foundation-level Certification course and continues to develop the ideas, issues, awareness, and context. It takes about 2-5 hours to complete.
311 Indigenous Communication & Consultation
The Indigenous Communication & Consultation course builds from the foundation-level Certification course with special focus on engagement and interaction. It takes about 2-5 hours to complete.
321 Indigenous Employment Outreach, Recruit, and Retain
The Indigenous Employment Outreach, Recruit, and Retain course builds from the foundation-level Certification course with special focus on company culture and employment considerations.
The cost is normally $128 per course. The coupon codes for CPA members are:
- CPA60 – will take $68 OFF any single course for the 201, 301, 311, and 321, reducing the price from $128 to $60.
- CPA771 – will take $148 OFF the 3-course “771 Bundle” that includes 201, 301, and 311, reducing the price from $238 to $90.
Visit https://indigenousawarenesscanada.com/indigenous-awareness-online-training/ for course descriptions and to register.
Canadian Psychological Association
141 avenue Laurier Avenue, Suite 702
Tel: 613-237-2144 (ext.328)