April 17, 2024
Contact Phone Number: (416) 855-2624
Contact E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dialectical-behaviour-therapy-for-complex-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-tickets-692539342817?aff=oddtdtcreator
Online via Zoom
April & May 2024 (Including April 17+18, 24+25; May 1+2, 8+9)
9:00 am – 1:00 pm EDT
Train with Drs. Martin Bohus & Shelley McMain
This 4-week course, offered through the Centre for MindBody Health, provides a comprehensive examination of DBT-PTSD based on a psycho-social model. Within this model, dysfunctional behaviors are understood as strategies to avoid or escape from trauma-associated primary emotions like powerlessness, threat, anxiety, disgust, humiliation, or sexual arousal. The model posits that these emotions are corroborated by dysfunctional cognitive assumptions and dysfunctional behaviors such as self-injury, suicidal ideation, dissociation or intoxication and that problematic secondary emotions such as shame, guilt, self-hatred, or chronic anger develop over time into problematic self-concepts which impair quality of life.
DBT-PTSD primarily aims to help patients: a) Revise their fear of trauma-associated primary emotions, b) Question whether secondary emotions like guilt and shame fit the facts, and c) Radically accept the fact of trauma in their lives to establish a life worth living. The treatment program is designed to be delivered in a residential program (three-months) or in an outpatient setting (45 weeks).
This 4-week course provides comprehensive training in DBT-PTSD including a manual. The course also fulfills the prerequisite for enrolling in future Advanced Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder workshops.
AT THE CONCLUSION OF THIS TRAINING, YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
– Describe the basic psychosocial and neurobehavioral principles of complex PTSD
– Implement the principles of DBT-PTSD within your clinical practice
– Develop an individualized trauma model
– Teach your client skills for dissociation, distress tolerance, and regulation of trauma-related emotions
– Conduct in-sensu exposure
– Help your clients create a life worth living
– Registrants will retain access to the course material and recordings of all classes for 30 days after the course training concludes. All registrants will be able to download core content (PPT or PDF) and view recordings of classes. Class recordings cannot be downloaded.