Dr. Mélanie Joanisse, C.Psych.
Clinical and Health Psychologist
Disclaimer: the tools provided in this workbook are not intended to be viewed as a replacement for psychological services provided by a trained professional. Please seek professional help if needed.
CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.
CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.
The federal government has announced a series of programs to address disruptions in employment income and business revenue. Most recently the CPA was pleased to see changes in the Canada Emergency Business Account [CEBA], which expands the payroll threshold from $50,000 to $20,000 to be eligible for a maximum loan of $40,000. The CPA remains concerned that members in private practice are still not eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit [CERB], the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy [CEWS], and Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) programs and has communicated with the Minister of Finance and Health (see letter). In coordinating its efforts, the CPA has worked closely with the Extended Health Care Professionals Coalition.
The Ottawa Institute of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy has a podcast covering many of the psychological impacts of COVID-19. Interviews with Dr. Kim Corace, Dr. Keith Dobson, and many others can be heard here: https://www.buzzsprout.com/811163
Do you suffer from chronic pain?
Your pain has been present for more than 3 months?
And interferes with daily activities?
The COVID-19 pandemic affects everyone.
Tell us how it is impacting your pain, its treatment and your well-being!
Please complete our online questionnaire: https://fr.surveymonkey.com/r/covid19-pain
Enter for a chance to win one of 10 prepaid Visa® $100 gift cards
For more information:
Manon Choinière, Ph.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Canadian Institute for Public Safety Research and Treatment has launched a webpage with excellent resources on the biopsychosocial and economic impacts of COVID-19.
Current information about COVID-19 may be accessed from:
- Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) COVID-19 Resource Hub: https://cts.vresp.com/c/?MentalHealthCommissi/a583350035/49b3686b34/20d4f4d85b
- The Ontario Ministry of Health’s website at:https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus.
- The Federal Government website at:https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- The World Health Organization (WHO) also provides extensive and frequently updated information on COVID-19 at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- APA- https://www.apaservices.org/practice/news/covid19-psychology-services-protection.pdf
- NASP – Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-andcrisis/health-crises/talking-to-children-about-covid-19-(coronavirus)-a-parent-resource
- Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 Informationhttps://hub.jhu.edu/novel-coronavirus-information/
- Free Guide To Living With Worry And Anxiety Amidst Global Uncertainty https://www.psychologytools.com/articles/free-guide-to-living-with-worry-and-anxiety-amidst-global-uncertainty/
Sun Life has advised that, as of March 23, 2020, they will cover virtual care services delivered by psychologists. For further information go to https://www.sunlife.ca/slf/Focus+Updates/covid19/Virtual+care?&vgnLocale=en_CA
“Our approved sponsor Leading Edge Seminars will be doing a “virtual lunch” daily at noon for their community of mental health professionals and clients. This will begin with Lawrence Murphy (online counseling), Janina Fisher (psychotherapist, consultant), and Margaret Wehrenberg (author of books on the treatment of anxiety and depression).
The U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) issued the following news release: Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19. The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may be stressful for people and communities. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations. More …