Psychology is a broad field, rooted in science that seeks to understand our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Some psychology professionals develop and test theories through basic research, while others work to help individuals, organizations, and communities better function. Still others are both researchers and practitioners.
Psychology Month is celebrated every February to highlight the contributions of Canadian psychology and to teach Canadians how psychology works to help them live healthy and happy lives, help their communities flourish, help their employers create effective workplaces, and help their governments develop good policies.
Want to get involved?
Join the conversation online!
- Follow @CPA_SCP on Twitter or “like” us on Facebook and share our psychology facts.
- Tell us about your psychology-related work or how psychology has worked for you with #PsychologyMonth and #psychologymakesadifference.
Host or attend an event!
- Ask your local library to feature books on Psychology throughout the month.
- Organize a public lecture or workshop to share the important role psychology plays in our communities.
- Open up your office, lab or department to the public and have staff on hand to answer questions about the work you do.
- Show a film related to mental health followed by a discussion about the role of psychology in dealing with the issues raised.
Meet with your elected officials!
- Call your constituency office and set up a meeting with your federal or provincial/territorial elected official.
- Write a letter to your local representative about issues relevant to psychology.
Spread the word!
- Download our fact sheets to learn more about how psychology can help treat various physical and mental illnesses and share them with your friends and family.
- Write an op ed for your local newspaper on the value of psychology.
- Download and share our Psychology Month poster.
- Talk to the media about your work.
- Have your organization sponsor a public service announcement on the radio or television about Psychology Month.